Automatic transmission removal and installation applies to 1993-1995 Mazda RX7 models.
On Mazda RX7 models with anti-theft radio system, obtain code number from customer to deactivate radio anti-theft system BEFORE disconnecting negative battery cable. To deactivate radio anti-theft system, turn ignition switch to ACC position. Press SCAN and AUTO-M buttons simultaneously until “cod e” is displayed. Press SCAN and AUTO-M buttons again until 4 bars are displayed.
Use preset button No. 1 to enter first number. Use preset buttons No. 2, 3 and 4 to set other numbers. Press SCAN and AUTO-M buttons for about 2 seconds until a beep is heard. After 5 seconds, flashing “cod e” will go away and radio will operate.
- Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Drain transmission fluid. Remove both undercovers. Remove secondary air injection pipe. Remove front exhaust pipe, heat insulator and catalytic converter. Mark drive shaft-to-differential assembly for reassembly reference.
- Remove drive shaft. Insert plug in rear of transmission to prevent leakage. Lower vehicle. Support engine from above using proper engine support assembly. Raise vehicle. Remove front, center and rear crossmembers. Support differential with transmission jack. Remove power plant frame (beam connecting transmission to differential). Remove vacuum hose, shift rod and oil cooler lines from transmission.
- Disconnect speed sensor. Remove starter. Disconnect neutral safety switch connector, 2 speed sensor connectors and solenoid valve connector. Remove dipstick tube. Remove all wiring harness connectors from transmission. Remove lower cover from converter housing. Using Wrench (49-0877-435), remove torque converter-to-flexplate bolts.
- Support transmission from below using transmission jack. Remove transmission-to-engine bolts. Slowly lower transmission assembly out of vehicle.
- To install transmission, reverse removal procedure. Use NEW bolts and nuts for power plant frame installation. Place a straightedge on flat area in left front edge of rear crossmember. Ensure straightedge passes under power plant frame bolts. Measure from top of straightedge to power plant frame. Distance should be 2.76-3.03″ (70-77 mm). If distance is not as specified, adjust power plant frame installation.
- Torque converter is correctly seated when distance between engine mating surface of converter housing and face of converter is at least 1.16″ (30 mm). Tighten bolts to specification. Fill transmission with required amount of fluid, and check for external leaks.
- Companion Flange Bolt/Nut: 37-43 (50-58) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Crossmember Mounting Nut: 13-19 (18-26) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Dipstick Stub Tube Mounting Bolt: 8 (11) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Power Plant Frame
- Bolt: 55-69 (75-93) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Nut: 109-130 (148-176) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Starter Bolt: 28-38 (38-52) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Torque Converter Bolt: 26-36 (35-49) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
- Transmission-To-Engine Bolt: 28-38 (38-52) Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
Got questions and comments on Mazda RX7 automatic transmission removal and installation? Let us know below!