B18C Cylinder head overhaul for Acura Integra 1994-2001 applies only to the GSR model.
Identify valves and valve springs as they are removed so that each item can be reinstalled in its original position.
Ensure all mating surfaces are clean. Measure cylinder head warpage. If warpage is greater than 0.002″ (0.05 mm), resurface cylinder head. Maximum resurface limit is 0.002″ (0.05 mm).
Measure free length of valve springs. If measurements are not within specification, replace valve springs.
Valve Stem Oil Seals
Intake and exhaust valve stem seals are not interchangeable. Intake valve stem seals have a White spring around neck of seal. Oil seals for exhaust valves have a Black spring around neck of seal. Use Valve Stem Seal Installer (KD-2899) to install valve stem seals.
Valve Guide Inspection
Measure valve guide clearance using a dial indicator placed on edge of valve head. With valve .4″ (10 mm) off seat, rock valve stem from side to side. Replace valve guides if stem-to-guide clearance is not within specification.
Valve Guide Removal
Warning: DO NOT heat cylinder head using a torch, or heat cylinder head to greater than 300°F (150°C). Excessive heat may loosen valve seats.
- Use a hot plate or oven to heat cylinder head to 300°F (150°C). Use Valve Guide Driver (07742-0010100), or fabricate valve guide remover from an air-impact chisel. Using an air hammer and valve guide remover, drive valve guide 0.079″ (2.0 mm) toward combustion chamber.
- Turn head over. Working from combustion chamber side of head, drive valve guide out toward camshaft side of head. If valve guide does not move, drill valve guide with a 5/16″ drill bit and try again to drive out guide.
Warning: Drill guides in extreme cases only. Cylinder head damage can occur if valve guide breaks.
Valve Guide Installation
- Cool new valve guides in freezer for about one hour. Remove new valve guides from freezer as needed. Install valve guides using .22″ (5.5 mm) Valve Guide Driver (07742-0010100).
- Install new valve guides from camshaft side of cylinder head. Apply thin coat of oil to valve guide and drive each guide into heated cylinder head until driver bottoms on head. If replacing all valve guides, reheat cylinder head as necessary.
- Valve guide installed height must be 0.494-0.514″ (12.55-13.05 mm). Using cutting oil, ream new valve guides by rotating Valve Guide Reamer (07HAH-PJ7010B) clockwise the full length of valve guide bore. Measure valve stem-to-guide clearance.
Always reface valve seat after replacing valve guide.
Valve seat replacement procedure is not available from manufacturer.
Valve Seat Correction Angles
If valve guides are to be replaced, perform guide replacement before refacing valve seats. If seat width is too wide, use 60-degree stone to raise seat, or 30-degree stone to lower seat. Ensure valve seat width is within specification.
Valve Stem Installed Height
After servicing valves, measure valve stem installed height. If valve stem installed height exceeds specification, replace valve. If valve stem installed height still exceeds limit, replace cylinder head.
Got questions or comments on how to overhaul the Acura Integra GSR 1994-2001 B18C cylinder head? Let us know below!